Our Venepuncture & Cannulation course is designed for all qualified staff who may not have conducted these practices before or require a refresher to update their skill set.
This course will update your theory skills and provide the opportunity for practice before carrying out the procedure in a work environment. Following the theory of venepuncture & cannulation, there will be a practical session designed to offer all participants to put their skills into practice in a controlled environment.
Venepuncture and Cannulation are the most commonly performed invasive procedures in the NHS. To perform these procedures well and to a safe standard, it requires staff to have relevant and up-to-date knowledge and skills.
This training includes both comprehensive theory and interactive practical, with plenty of time to perfect your technique.
After this half-day course, attendees will be competent in the following areas:
• An awareness of the venepuncture & cannulation techniques
• Identify potential dangers and complications of these invasive techniques
• Understand the vascular anatomy of the arm
• Awareness of the order of draw
• Carry out a successful practical demonstration
Topics covered within this course
• Site Selection
• Equipment Selection
• Anatomy & Physiology
• Potential Complications & Errors
• Infection Control – Aseptic Technique
• The Venepuncture Procedure
• The Cannulation Procedure
The session is followed by a multiple-choice assessment designed to test learners’ understanding of the course.
A certificate will be issued after the successful completion of the training course.
Attendees are continually assessed throughout the course to ensure learning outcomes have been achieved and must be physically able to carry out procedures required to meet assessment criteria.