Medication Awareness training is essential in the Health and Social Care sector. Figures show that hundreds of deaths each year in the UK are linked to medication errors. It is therefore vital that all Health and Social Care staff are aware of the different types, classifications, and forms of medication, including how they should be stored and disposed of. Arete Training Solutions course has been designed with all of these factors in mind.
Our Medication Awareness course is ideal for anyone who is involved in the management and/or administration of medication, as well as family members or anyone interested in understanding more about the safe handling of medication.
This course will give attendees a good insight into the procedures that should be followed when administering medication to ensure that they are distributed safely. It covers topics such as; current legislation, policies, and procedures, maintaining records, storing, administering and disposing of medication, self-medication and any other issues that may arise in the administration of medication. The training also covers the requirements of confidentiality and information security in drug administration.
After this half-day course staff will:
• Be up to date with current legislation and understand the procedures they must follow.
• Be able to safely administer medicines, including supporting self-administration, whilst being mindful of local policy, consent and confidentiality.
• Recognise different types of medication and the common side effects associated with those.
• Be able to promote the rights of the individual when managing medication, including those who lack capacity.
• Understand the use of monitored dosage systems.
• Have an awareness of how an individual’s metabolism may affect the absorption and elimination of medicines.
• Have an understanding of how to store and dispose of any medication safely.
• Understand their responsibility in good record keeping following the administration of medication.
The session is followed by a multiple-choice assessment designed to test learners’ understanding of the course. Test results are usually disclosed within two working days after attending the training. A certificate will be issued after the successful completion of the training course.