Our Colostomy Care training course has been developed to aid attendees, such as healthcare workers, including those who work or come into contact with people who require colostomy care.
We consider the reasons for and the process involved with colostomy care in day to day living. Therefore, our training covers best practice guidelines and ensure that all attending will be better suited to delivering care for people who require colostomy care.
After this half-day course, attendees will be competent in the following areas:
• Introduction to Colostomy Care
• Types of Colostomies, ascending, traverse, descending and sigmoid
• About the Stoma
• How colostomy affects work, social life, clothing, showering, bathing, exercise, travel, sexual life, and diet
• How diet can control excessive gas, odour, diarrhoea, and constipation
• Medicines and your colostomy
• Selecting appropriate colostomy bag
• Assessing the stoma and skin
• When to call a doctor
The session is followed by a multiple-choice assessment designed to test learners’ understanding of the course.
A certificate will be issued after the successful completion of the training course.
Attendees are continually assessed throughout the course to ensure learning outcomes have been achieved and must be physically able to carry out procedures required to meet assessment criteria.